Welcome to Sports Sewing! This class is designed for students to learn clothing construction and care techniques. With successful completion of the class you should be able to mend clothes, properly launder and press clothing; read a pattern, construct quality clothing, operate a sewing machine efficiently, and identify textile characteristics.
There is a $10 lab fee for this class, as well as an additional fee to cover the cost of a few of the projects students will complete and take home You may access the curriculum here: http://www.uen.org/core/core.do?courseNum=200113 Students will complete a school supply holder, hoodie, small round gym bag, pj pants, and a few other small projects. Some details regarding projects are listed in this document; other details and instructions will be given later.
Be a Snow Leopard on the P.R.O.W.L.
- Follow directions the first time given
- Be respectful of all people, property, and self
- Be accountable for your actions
- Stay in your seat always, unless give permission to leave
- Come to class prepared to learn
- Follow all South Jordan Middle School Policies
- No gum, food, or beverages in class
Students are expected to show appropriate behavior while in the labs at all times. Students are expected to follow all lab rules, respect equipment within the labs, and clean up after themselves. Failure to do so will result in losing lab privileges. Students will be responsible for broken items due to misconduct. Students will also loose lab privileges if they destroy other student’s projects.
Each student is required to have:
- Pen or Pencil and Sports Sewing folder and spiral notebook in class daily. Both the folder notebook will be kept in the classroom for the duration of the class.
- Receipt from Main Office for Lab & Supply Fee, before Friday, February 6th(see below for more details)
- There are sewing kits you may use in the classroom, OR bring the following items to class, marked with your initials or something identifiable, as soon as possible: pins, pin cushion or magnet, (optional: sewing pattern weights), seam gauge, measuring tape, seam ripper, at least one hand sewing needle, 1 pair of shears. You will keep your supplies in your tote.
- There is a limited fabric selection available to all students in the class for the PJ pant fabric project. However, if a student would rather choose his or her own fabric, he or she must consider the following guidelines: 1-2 ¾ yards of woven flannel, gingham, or cotton or cotton blend fabric depending on the size pajama pants you wish to make. Please do not bring knits and plaids. View pattern envelope for sizes and fabric yardage or follow the following url: http://www.simplicity.com/Teacher_Lounge/Autumn_2012/Product_Graphics/2290_product.pdf
If you or someone you know has fabric scraps or that you would be glad to donate, we would be happy to accept your donations in the Main Office. The fabric is made available for student use.
Making up work: Whenever you are absent you will miss something. It is your responsibility to find out what you missed and what you need to do to make up the work. We will be doing a lot of class discussion and group work so it is very important to be in class everyday. Do everything you can so that you don’t have to miss class.
Late work: Late work will always be accepted but for half credit. Talk to me about individual situations to see what arrangements can be made.