Ms. Kate Finlinson » CTE
CTE classes are available at SJMS in the Business, Family & Consumer Science, and Technology & Engineering Fields. Click on the course name below for more information about each class.
- College & Career Awareness: Utah´s exploratory Career and Technical Education class for 7th Graders. Consists of 4 components, Business, FACS, Tech & Engineering, and Careers.
- Keyboarding: A beginning semester course for 8th graders where the student will master touch operation of the keyboard and good techniques.
- Business Office Specialist: A semester course for 9th graders that completes the high school Computer Literacy requirement for graduation.
Family & Consumer Science
- College & Career Awareness: Utah´s exploratory Career and Technical Education class for 7th Graders. Consists of 4 components: Business, FACS, Tech & Engineering, and Careers.
- Food and Nutrition 1: This semester course is designed for students who are interested in understanding the principles of nutrition and basic food preparation techniques.
- Sports Sewing: This semester course teaches students basic construction skills, but is specialized to concentrate on specific fabrics or projects such as outdoor clothing or sports clothing.
- Facs Exploration: This semester course provides students the opportunity to learn essential life skills. It allows them to develop skills in food and nutrition, childcare and safety, interior design, and basic sewing construction.
- Teen Living: This semester course helps students understand and cope with personal, family, and social challenges. It addresses issues that impact teenagers: self-concept, family and peer relationships, substance abuse, personal loss, dating and teenage pregnancy, and child abuse.
Technology & Engineering
- College & Career Awareness: Utah´s exploratory Career and Technical Education class for 7th Graders. Consists of 4 components, Business, FACS, Tech & Engineering, & Careers.
- Intro to Manufacturing I, II (Woods 1, 2): This class is for 8th and 9th graders boys and girls and is the study of manufacturing techniques and skills used in the world of manufacturing. They will learn skills in woodworking, plastics, and metalworking. These skills will be learned by doing hands-on activities and bookwork. They will also learn the proper use of equipment to do the skills learned.
- Exploring Tech I, II: Exploring Technology is a hands-on semester class that explores various technologies, applies math and science knowledge, and gives students a chance to develop problem-solving skills. In Exploring Technology 1, we will complete projects with transportation, information technology, communications, energy and power and agricultural technologies. In Exploring Technology 2, we explore construction, manufacturing, information technology/communications and energy, and power technologies.