Our “Plan for College and Career Readiness” (PCCR) conferences are coming up. Each eighth grade student and his/her parent or guardian are invited to attend. This 30 minute session is designed to explore your child’s interests and abilities, as well as develop a course of study directed towards high school and college. Conferences will be held from November 3 – December 16.
To schedule a PCCR appointment, log on to the Online Scheduler between October 10th and October 21st. You can access the Online Scheduler link here. Once you are in the Online Scheduler, select South Jordan Middle School (PCCR), log in, and then choose your appointment time. The password is: sojo.
Please make your appointment with your student’s counselor.
A-Ek Mr. Young
El-La Ms. Switzer
Le-Rh Ms. Po’uha
Ri-Z Ms. Graham
If you are unable to schedule an appointment, please call (801) 412-2910. If your student does not receive an appointment through the Online Scheduler or if a parent is unable to attend, the student will still have a PCCR conference with a counselor.
We look forward to meeting with you.
SJMS Counseling Staff
Our students had the highest math SAGE scores in district and 15th in the state! We also ranked 19th in Science. Great job students and teachers!
Dr. Paul Jenkins will be speaking at our annual Uplift Families Parenting Conference on August 27, 2016 at Thanksgiving Point. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.UpliftFamilies.org.
Come help out Bingham Hockey this Tuesday, July 19 from 5-7 p.m. at Chick-fil-A in South Jordan.
Much time and consideration has gone into your student’s placement and schedule at South Jordan Middle School. At South Jordan Middle School, we believe that every voice counts and that every child is as equally entitled to a positive learning experience as another. The Class change request policy was designed in accordance with Utah SB 122 which states:
“ An LEA shall reasonably accommodate a parent’s or guardian’s initial selection of a teacher or request for a change. Reasonably accommodate means an LEA shall make it’s best effort to enable a parent or guardian to exercise a parental right specified in section 53A-15- 1503 without substantial impact to staff and resources, including employee working conditions, safety and supervision on school premises and for school activities, and the efficient allocation of expenditures; and while balancing the rights of parents or guardians; the education needs of other students; the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom; a teachers workload; and the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school. ‘
1. The learning environment is most productive when there is a balance of classroom size, diversity and academic ability.
2. Teachers have the responsibility to give input on student placement
3. All teachers provide equal opportunities for quality learning.
4. Students, parents and teachers should have an opportunity to learn to work with and appreciate various personalities.
5. Creating different mixes of students encourages new friendships and social community growth.
6. It is in the best interest of all students to control student placement combinations that could lead to disciplinary problems. Some combinations require a significant amount of classroom teacher time to regulate and can reduce teaching time for the rest of the class.
Procedure and Policy:
1. Schedules will be available on Skyward August 17, 2016 at 12:00 p.m.
2. Please wait to receive your schedule before any change requests are made.
3. You must come to the SJMS Counseling Center to fill out a class transfer/change request form. A parent signature is required.
4. You may only fill out one class transfer/change request form per student. You can request multiple changes on that form, but only one form will be accepted per student.
5. Students must keep the same teacher both semesters in Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies.
6. Counselors will fill requests on a first come first serve basis.
7. Counselors will do their best to fill your request while acknowledging SJMS Beliefs and Policies.