MESA Activity September 2017
Parents and Students were invited to make furniture from balloons and tape. Mr. Crowther was the official tester!
Beliefs for Schedule/Teacher Changes at South Jordan Middle School
Much time and consideration has gone into your student’s placement and schedule at South Jordan Middle School. At South Jordan Middle School, we believe that every voice counts and that every child is as equally entitled to a positive learning experience as another. The Class change request policy was designed in accordance with Utah SB 122 which states: “ An LEA shall reasonably accommodate a parent’s or guardian’s initial selection of a teacher or request for a change. Reasonably accommodate means an LEA shall make it’s best effort to enable a parent or guardian to exercise a parental right specified in section 53A-15-1503 without substantial impact to staff and resources, including employee working conditions, safety and supervision on school premises and for school activities, and the efficient allocation of expenditures; and while balancing the rights of parents or guardians; the education needs of other students; the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom; a teachers workload; and the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school.
- The learning environment is most productive when there is a balance of classroom size, diversity and academic ability.
- Teachers have the responsibility to give input on student placement
- All teachers provide equal opportunities for quality learning.
- Students, parents and teachers should have an opportunity to learn to work with and appreciate various personalities.
- Creating different mixes of students encourages new friendships and social community growth.
- It is in the best interest of all students to control student placement combinations that could lead to disciplinary problems. Some combinations require a significant amount of classroom teacher time to regulate and can reduce teaching time for the rest of the class.
Procedure and Policy:
- Schedules will be available on Skyward August 16, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.
- Please wait to receive your schedule before any change requests are made.
- You must come to the SJMS Counseling Center to fill out a class transfer/change request form. A parent signature is required.
- You may only fill out one class transfer/change request form per student. You can request multiple changes on that form, but only one form will be accepted per student.
- Students must keep the same teacher both semesters in Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies.
- Counselors will fill requests on a first come first serve basis.
- Counselors will do their best to fill your request while acknowledging SJMS Beliefs and Policies.
Are Your Children Slaves to the Media?
By Nicholeen Peck
Parenting Lessons From A Ten Year Old
“Oh Mom, that is so sad!” said ten-year-old Porter when he got in the car after our fun family night activity.
“What is so sad Porter?” I inquired.
“That little boy, only about three years old, in the car next to us didn’t want to get in his car seat, so he started fighting his dad and yelling. Then the dad said, ‘Here, have the phone.’ As soon as the dad said that, the little boy got quiet. Dads shouldn’t reward their children for bad behaviors and shouldn’t give their children adult tools, like phones, to play with as toys Mom.”
|Uplift Families · United States
You can also keep up with Uplift Families on Twitter or Facebook.
Awesome Job Mr. Voorhees and Mr. Freeman!
Click HERE to see the awesome work that these two are doing to change history.
Our “Plan for College and Career Readiness” (PCCR) conferences are coming up. Each eighth grade student and his/her parent or guardian are invited to attend. This 30 minute session is designed to explore your child’s interests and abilities, as well as develop a course of study directed towards high school and college. Conferences will be held from November 3 – December 16.
To schedule a PCCR appointment, log on to the Online Scheduler between October 10th and October 21st. You can access the Online Scheduler link here. Once you are in the Online Scheduler, select South Jordan Middle School (PCCR), log in, and then choose your appointment time. The password is: sojo.
Please make your appointment with your student’s counselor.
A-Ek Mr. Young
El-La Ms. Switzer
Le-Rh Ms. Po’uha
Ri-Z Ms. Graham
If you are unable to schedule an appointment, please call (801) 412-2910. If your student does not receive an appointment through the Online Scheduler or if a parent is unable to attend, the student will still have a PCCR conference with a counselor.
We look forward to meeting with you.
SJMS Counseling Staff
We want to thank you for all of your support for our first “Fun Run.” We had over 1200 water bottles donated and countless parent volunteers. Big events would be next to impossible to pull off without your help, so thank you again.
2016-17 Schedule Information
Please see the post in the school newsfeed for schedule information for the 2016-17 school year.
Permit Information for the 2016-17 School Year
Please click here to find out more information about permits for the 2016-17 school year.
SoJo Spotlight Newsletter
Check out the latest issue of the monthly school newsletter.